Wednesday, February 27, 2008

She Blogs Hard for the Money

I have been doing a lot of research. At least that is what I call it, although my husband is slightly skeptical. And I must admit that this was fun and sucked up a half an hour (go to the instyle link, but I found this time-consuming fun activity here, so I am giving a little linky love). Maybe someday if you are nice I will share my results.

Anyway, back to the serious research. First the soul searching. Tough questions ahead: 1)What kind of blog do I want to have? 2)What should the topics be and how can I tie them all together? 3)What audience am I trying to reach? 4) Who else will play with me? 5)Now how do I do all that?

So these are some of the answers I have started to evolve. I won't say that I determined or decided or settled any firm, formal, final answer. The one thing that I do know for sure is that I want this to evolve over time to fit my needs and hopefully entertain and inform others.

Answers for the time being: 1-3)The first and foremost reason for this blog is to promote my business (Monkey Barrel Press) and my upcoming book. While I enjoy blogging, this is NOT the primary thrust of the business, so it can be something of a hobby as well (this means photos for the Grandparents will be okay, bet they are relieved).

As this is a children's book, I would imagine that the people that might actually buy it someday would be parents, teachers, aunts and uncles (etc.), librarians and people who want to support me. The other people that might be interested would be people that are writing a children's book or are attempting to self-publish. Perhaps a few people that are starting their own small-businesses. And perhaps some people that are interested in marketing techniques. And of course, there could be people that are interested in the mechanics and techniques of blogging.

That defines a pretty diverse audience, now what topics can I supply that might interest those readers: 1)Mom-blog: anecdotes about my family, things we do, and if I am feeling especially ambitious (channel Martha Stewart, Rachael Ray, and Mr Rogers) I can include: crafts, science projects, cooking projects (notice that I did not say recipes), and outings. 2)The self-publishing journey, what tasks have I done (and those I still have to do) and what helped me accomplish them to get the book onto the shelves this coming September (2008). 3)The same information about starting a small business in California. 4)Educational entries related to the topic of the book. This book highlights several famous historical women. Perhaps I could continue to write mini-bite size biographies that might interest a younger set. 5)Once the book is out, marketing information. Where I will be, what I am doing. Maybe share some results. Results are always the hardest information to find when following a business journey. Maybe I will share some? 6)Blog topics as I learn them, etiquette, links, registries, keywords - all of these things could be a goldmine of entries. 7)Fun stuff, weekly memes, photo contests, poetry stuff, etc.

Now for the research. Who will play with me and how do I get them to come over? Well first of all I think that I have to be careful about pushing the book too much (especially this early in the game). I mean I don't want to be thought of as the local Avon lady (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Now I have been off finding blogs to follow, friends to make. It is a little strange and feels like on-line dating (not that there is anything wrong with that). But you get to have a feel for a person by reading their blog. Writing style, topics covered, and just generally what is happening in their lives. If you enjoy their blog, perhaps they are the type of person that would be interested in what you have to say. But there is always that question, will you get along? The only way to know for sure is to see. So hopefully by next week I will have some new friends. Wish me luck on this.

Now how do I do this? That is for the future. It will be a learning process. I have some experience under my belt with my other blog. However I never made serious efforts to publicize or monetize or do more than enjoy the writing practice, try to make blogfriends with similar interests and information, and most of all practice.

1 comments:

Smiling Mom said...

Just getting started! Wohoo! That was me just a year ago. It's pretty addicting. :-)

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!