Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Super Nanny Kicked My Butt - Costa Rican Style

Cross-posted from Costa Rica Crazy.

For those of you who don't know, we are currently taking a little sabbatical in Costa Rica. For more details on the evolution of this crazy idea adventure, you can see my other blog.

I just finished lunch. We had a delicious meatball soup, my husband, the maid/nanny, and I. We also had a great conversation. Somehow, we got on the topic of the behavior and habits of our children. She recommended a tv show that shows here. As she described it, guess what, The Super Nanita.

We spoke for about 30 minutes on the topic of dinnertime in the loco house. And ne'er a truer statement could be made. We always have good intentions of family dinners, but after a few tough nights we give in to the easy way, the fast way. We feed them only foods they like and we chase them with dinner. My husband never had regular family dinner (youngest of eight), and doesn't see the importance of it. I am weak and give in to the easy way.

L. told us how important to change now because it is harder/worse later. She also went on about the diapers at night for all the kids (3 and 6 year old included) but we will save that challenge for another day. She went after us pretty good and we have agreed to try it again. The family dinner thing. I think this time my husband and I will be a united front and I hope we can draw strength from each other through the difficult transition. Now this conversation went on in Spanish, so I hope I got it all. But I really want to say - if they ever want to do a Costa Rican version, she's your girl!

2 comments:

Wonders said...

I think regular family dinners are really important also...how long are you in Costa Rica? What are you guys doing there? I love it there...I have been there and often thought of moving there...just chucking life here...just a dream...

camian said...

dinners together have been mandatory on the weeks dh is home, i feel like we all get good convo. in. Wonders, do you ever watch international house hunters? every time i watch it i want to say bump it and run for a border, any border!! Somewhere exotic.lol

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!