Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fruitcake has been Ruined - Try my banana bread concoction instead

I don't think anyone can argue that the US is the land of excess. Super size is typical and the small size has disappeared or been replaced with children's size (indicating that it is not sufficient for an adult).

Now, don't get me wrong. While I often think "less is more," I am usually right there buying the "family" size popcorn for just two people. But there is something I think that we ruined. Don't laugh.

Fruitcake

This treat has become a joke in the US, and I think it is because we applied our "more more more mentality" to it. I may have mentioned that my husband is from the Philippines. I may have mentioned that I am close to his whole family. I may have mentioned that occasionally, I don't understand what they are thinking, but this one really knocked me for a loop. They LOVE fruitcake.

Okay, not the American Overloaded Version. Dried fruits are expensive. Nuts are expensive. Flour, sugar and other bread/cake ingredients, not so much. So the way that they are used to it, the way they like it is much more cake, a little fruit. So at Christmastime I make a ton of it (it's a big family). And I have a rockin' recipe for that.

But that is not what I really want to talk about. I have those dried candied fruits lying around and I found something to do with them.



I put them in my banana bread. I will share two fabulous recipes. One is for Perfect Banana Bread that Doesn't Crumble and one for my own banana bread concoction.

Perfect Banana Bread that Doesn't Crumble
Recipe from my sister-in-law, Lenore, not sure the original source. I have taken some liberties (of course). You should also know that this is a double recipe because that is how I make it, I mean why go to all that trouble for only one loaf.

1)Preheat oven to 350° F

2)Mix together dry Ingredients:
3 cups All-purpose Flour
2½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt

3)Mix together wet ingredients:
4 slightly beaten eggs
2 cups mashed overripe banana gunk
1 ½ - 2 cups sugar
½ cup canola oil

4)Slowly add dry to wet. Put in some kind of cooking pan. I usually use two loaf pans. It will approximately double in size during cooking.

5)Bake for 45 minutes to one hour. This changes based on the pan you used (size and type) and because of the variant moisture content of the eyeballed banana gunk. You need to check it. It is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool and Enjoy

Banana Bread Fruit Cake Concoction
I have italicized the differences

1)Preheat oven to 350° F

2)Mix together dry Ingredients:
2½ cups All-purpose Flour
½ cup whole wheat flour

2½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt

3)Mix together wet ingredients:
4 slightly beaten eggs
2 cups mashed overripe banana gunk
1 ½ - 2 cups sugar
½ cup canola oil

4)Mix in:
½ cup candied fruits


5)Slowly add dry to wet. Put in some kind of cooking pan. I usually use two loaf pans. It will approximately double in size during cooking.

6)Bake for 45 minutes to one hour. This changes based on the pan you used (size and type) and because of the variant moisture content of the eyeballed banana gunk. You need to check it. It is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool and Enjoy. This one is also great toasted with a little butter.

Really, I even like it and I don't do Fruitcake.

So I put this here, my first recipe post for the Mommyfest Potluck

0 comments:

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!