Monday, May 5, 2008

My name is Jennifer and I am an internet addict

There has been a lot of talk lately about people watching less TV and less tv can mean more time online.

I must say that this is no surprise to me. Since moving to Costa Rica, it has become much more of a challenge to get my programs. We get all the major networks, in fact they come from a Colorado set of stations. And they have been pretty consisitent, only a few times that there was no signal. BUT.....

1)Here in Costa Rica, we don't do daylight savings, so sometimes my primetime viewing starts at 7 pm, sometimes at 8 pm. Some days I am just not smart enough to remember this too.

2)I REALLY REALLY miss my tivo or dvr recorder. Somehow, not having to think about when to tape, which VCR tape had space, where the space was, how to find the space without discovering who was eliminated from the Amazing Race, or some such thing was liberating. Also, to not worry about the order you watched things - fantastic. And to be able to have the current favorite kids show on speed-dial - priceless (especially when channels like Noggin stopped broadcasting pre-school stuff after 6 pm and suddenly switched to teen angst).

3)So just as I was overcoming these... um challenges, there was that darn writer strike. I don't know enough of the situation to have an opinion, but people I respect and trust were in support of it, so I will sway with them. But, I kind of forgot to care about most of the shows I had previosuly been hooked on.


So, let's check the numbers.

Before all this I Regularly watched:
How I Met Your Mother
Rules of Engagement
Chuck
Heroes
Law and Order
Law and Order Criminal Intent
House
Scrubs
Ugly Betty
Pushing Daisies
Bionic Woman
Amazing Race
Survivor
American Idol
America's Top Model
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance

Plus I dabbled with the Food Network, HGTV, Comedy Central, Movies, Oprah, Rachael Ray and The View.

That is a lot of tv and I am sure I am forgetting something. This is not including all the time I spent chatting about these shows, reading about these shows, etc. Not all shows are on at the same time, but we can conservatively say that is 20 hours a week.

Want to know what I watch now?
Survivor. (And sometimes I miss it and have to download it).


That is 20 hours/week of my life that I just reclaimed. When I think of it like that, I want to thank those striking writers. I love their work, but I need to work too.

Which leads me to my new computer addiction. I spend a lot of time reading blogs (currently over 2,000 posts are awaiting in my feeder), writing my blogs, setting up my company website, reading my publishing forums, browsing my costa rica forums, checking my blog stats (hello you 10 people out there), going to social media sites, creating marketing collateral for the book. See all that "work" in there. Okay I will say it.

My Name is Jennifer and I am an Internet Addict.

So now that I have confessed my new drug of choice, am I totally off the tv? Well, I do get some highlights from the other shows on things like Prime Time in No Time on Yahoo, so I am not completely out of the trash loop. And I occasionally have glanced at Eli Stone. Also, I will probably watch Chuck, Heroes and Pushing Daisies when they return. Scrubs is about to end for good, so one less to worry about.

It is so hard to kick the tv habit. But I want to know, which is the "gateway drug"? And which is your drug of choice?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a petition to show how much we enjoyed the first season of Eli Stone and would like to see more episodes. If you area fan of Eli Stone, please sign it today.

Every signature counts.

Thank you :)
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/save-eli-stone

Troy said...

The same thing happened to me during the writers strike. I just stopped caring!

The blogosphere is my new drug of choice, hands down.

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!