Friday, June 27, 2008

Sound of Music our family style

We recently watched The Sound of Music. As a family. I forgot how good and how long it is. It is really long by today's standards. Did kids used to sit still this long? I ran into the same situation with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Pete's Dragon and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Seriously?

But Sound of Music was a winner.

It was an opportunity to talk about listening and obeying with respect (ala frogs in the nanny's bed being a big "no no") and that not everyone has lots of clothes. That there are some bad people (the soldiers) and that family should stick together. All good stuff. Although explaining WW II and the German occupancy/influence over Austria to a 6 year old was a little touchy.

It was also an opportunity to learn some rockin' cool songs, old style. Bella has been singing the "So long, farewell..." song for days. My favorite line

"I'd like to stay and taste my first shampoo.....do da da do da do da do da, do da da do da do...."

Are we a classy family or what?

1 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't think we've tried this movie as of yet. It is funny, though...the difference between length and content of older movies versus current, isn't it? My girls do watch The Wizard of Oz. I used to LOVE Bedknobs and Broomsticks! I'll have to pick that one up...

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!