Monday, July 21, 2008

My FAVORITE children's book and the spell it weaves

I mentioned that we read at bedtime. Every night. Each kid gets to pick (sometimes with a little re-direction based on time and sleepiness) one book. Usually Bella picks princess stuff. Or stuff with a leading character that looks like a 6 inch tall blond bombshell doll. This stuff has it's place, but once in a while I like to be entertained by the selection as well.

One night, I pulled out MY FAVORITE. The first book I bought myself with my money. Okay, money given to me by an Auntie right at the door of the mall as we all went in shopping. Together. But I made the purchase, I made the selection, I paid the cashier. I was about six years old and extremely impressed with myself. I even managed to get a pair of plastic high-heel shoes with the change. I still have the book.

So one night, I pulled out MY FAVORITE. That original book. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. The kids were mesmerized. It is quite a bit longer than many of the books I read at night. I used funny voices. I read it dramatically. They got it. They loved it. You could hear a pin drop in the room while I was reading. No comments. No interruptions. No wiggling. Just rapt attention. It just shows the power of excellent children's literature. I mean, really, who can compete with the Doctor?

1 comments:

Book said...

Hi, I have fond memories of the Magic Faraway Tree series. I'm always on the hunt for great children's books and have recently discovered Bayard and their series of StoryBoxBooks, AdventureBoxBooks, DiscoveryBoxBooks They have work by acclaimed children's books illustrator Helen Oxenbury appearing in the Storybox series for September. In addition to this, they also have some great activities for rainy days: http://www.storyboxbooks.com/potatoprinting.php, http://www.adventureboxbooks.com/macaroni-picture-frames.php, http://www.discoveryboxbooks.com/skittles.php Enjoy!

 
Web Pages referring to this page
Link to this page and get a link back!